Talking about the specialization of this particular course, this Specialization assists one to improvise the professional way of communication in English for successful business vocabulary. Every program focuses on some particular field of communication in English: writing emails, speaking at meetings and even interviews, giving some presentations and the networking online.
Communication is when the information is transferred from the sender to a receiver using some medium. There are specifically different kinds of mediums that are used:
- Visual communication (using body language or gestures)
- Communicating with the use of sounds (like human language, but may also be the barking of a dog)
- Communication using touch
- Using smell
- Using writing
Types of Communication
Forms of Communication – Verbal Communication
If the verbal communication was really just simple as just “talking”, there wouldn’t be really as many arguments in the office places. The reason being a lot many arguments take place due to the result of misinterpretation, originally caused due to poor communication. For example, usage of a specific word or phrase may offend any customer, but the office staff didn’t even get to know they offended that specific person. If one had chosen his words more carefully, the clashes due to the exchange of a few words might not even have happened.
Forms of Communication – Nonverbal Communication
Regardless verbal communication is necessary, spoken words consist of only a small part of the communication. The rest of the majority of communication is non-verbal. The matter of fact being, some research has shown that up to 93% of communication is nonverbal! The amount of communication that is nonverbal shows why it is so necessary to pay close attention to a person’s actions as well and even their words.
So how do basically people communicate non-verbally? Nonverbal communication consists of primarily the facial expressions a person makes and the body language he tends to have. Understanding these attributes nonverbal cues assists to totally understand what the person is saying. Mastering the nonverbal communication will enable one to be a better communicator as one can get a better learning of the nonverbal cues and the people he communicate with are sending. If one doesn’t understand nonverbal communication, he will miss out on an important part of the conveyed message. Nonverbal cues can convey how people usually feel, if they are telling the truth, and whether or not they are paying attention.
Forms of Communication – Emotional Awareness
Emotional awareness communication is usually not understood and seldom if once discussed or preached.
Feelings play a vital role in communication. Emotional awareness, or the ability to understand feelings, will help one to succeed while communicating to other people. If one is emotionally aware, he will communicate better.
Forms of Communication – Written Communication
Writing is yet another way of communication, and it is one that will be used more often in the workplace. Just like the verbal and nonverbal communication, written communication has laid down its own set of guidelines. Whether one is writing a simple email or an important report related to work, one should try to express professionally by using correct grammar and punctuation. It is very complex to show and read emotions in the form of writing, but you have to be careful as the things like sarcasm obviously don’t translate well via the written form of communication and are interpreted incorrectly.
Forms of Communication – Communicating in Difficult Situations
Difficult situations tend to make communication even tougher, or at least secondary to survival and the protection of one’s self-interest. Both stress and uncertainty can team up and evoke the fight or flight of response in the personal and professional settings. Mastering communication in difficult situations is a lifetime process, but every time one does it (…and maybe fail a bit), he learns new things that can preach him about the techniques of bettering it the next time.
Degrees offered in the department
There are number of degrees that are being offered in this very department and have something or the other to learn from and are exclusive.
A lot many colleges are offering the course for the English language as it is considered to be supreme of all languages and is common for a lot of countries.
English Language Center / Conditional Admission
University of Denver
The aim of the English Language Center (ELC) is to encourage the goals of the University of Denver by developing English Language Learners with the important communicative and cultural competencies to be a successful member of DU and other institutions of the US for Higher Education.
Following a placement test once arrived at the ELC, students are given one of the following six fields of English language study:
Foundations through Advanced High (5 levels)
- 20 contact hours per week
- Instruction in reading, writing, grammar, listening, speaking and pronunciation
- Elective classes in upper levels: e.g. Service Learning and Digital Magazine
The Language Gallery in Germany
Our General English courses will prepare one’s practical communication skills in speaking and even writing as well as reading and even listening and of course, the fluency and not to be neglected the grammatical accuracy. The qualified faculties will give one individual attention that he need, with regular one-to-one tuitions. One has the chance to prepare the spoken English through the activities like discussions and debates, role-plays and pair work.
It completely depends on the course that has been taken up. Weeks can be from 1 to 25+
Classes are full year specifically on Mondays.
Academic English Course
Illinois State University
What you'll learn:
- Present spoken and written ideas accurately and effectively in English
- Write research papers with proper use of citations and references
- Read, understand and critically evaluate academic texts
- Understand and use vocabulary common to academic disciplines
- Take useful and accurate notes in academic lectures and presentations
- Understand US values in an academic setting
Key course facts
- Course length: 1-3 Semesters
- Start dates: 2018: October; 2019: January, May, August; 2020: January, May, August; 2021: January, May
- Fees: From $3,250
- Class hours: 12-16 hours per week
- Class size: 15
- Award: You may progress to a Pathway program to a university degree program after achieving the language level required and meeting all other requirements.
- Course options:
Intensive English Program
University of Southern Indiana
Highlights of our program include:
- Small class sizes that allow more one-on-one interaction and class time with instructors
- Affordable and competitive costs
- Conditional admission to university upon IEP completion
- Individual academic advising for students
- TOEFL preparation
- Computer-assisted instruction
- Access to computing and library facilities at a comprehensive university
- Extracurricular activities and participation in student life
- Apartment-style campus housing
- Specialized classes based on future major or interest, such as English for academic purposes, business English and more
- Friendly atmosphere and safe environment
- Moderate climate
- Assistance with visa process
The Language Gallery in Canada
The elective classes are optional extra lessons built to intensify selected courses, build on the language skills you already have and improve your overall chances of success on your course.
Electives are add-ons to your core course
Depends on students' desired course length. Weeks can be from 1 to 25+
Jobs and future opportunities:
- Lecturer: being a lecturer requires great amount of intellectuality and maturity and is job that involves high amount of responsibility as the future of the future generation is on stake. This field is always very preferable and financially stable. Every country and every good institution requires good professors and academicians.
Anchoring is a field that is growing nowadays and has gained a lot of attention as it depends on the anchor how the show shall be hosted how and the response of the viewers for the show shall be, it requires great amount of confidence and good speaking skills.
- Magazine or newspaper editor: every country has some new articles and magazines that demand people with good vocabulary skills that can create good and reasonable content.
- P.R.: Public Relations requires a lot of speaking skills and this field is always open for after being a master in English language as it a common language for most of the countries and job vacancy in this field is high.