Student CV Guidelines
A CV or Curriculum Vitae is a detailed document describing your academic credentials and achievements. A CV is the most important aspect of your job interview. It contains information like your skills, work experience, awards or scholarships you have received, your strengths and weaknesses. A good and detailed CV is a reflection of your personality and creates an impression on the employer. Writing a CV in the correct format is very important as it indicates that one has made an effort to present themselves.
What is your CV?
A CV is a written overview of your skills, education, achievements and work experience. A well-written CV can determine whether one is suitable for a job position as it is the first thing evaluated by the employer. A CV is used for various purposes, but the most common and most important use is to send it to a prospective employer when looking for a job. Most jobs require you to submit a well-documented CV. A CV is different than a Resume in the way that it is more detailed, it is a brief summary of your skills and experience.
How to Write a CV?
Writing a student resume if you are young, doesn’t necessarily mean you lack at talent. You may not have job experiences but you could show them the real life experiences and volunteer work. Discuss your extracurricular interests and your team management skills.
- Focus on your education as the resume will reflect your educational qualification till now which is one of the most important aspects of a good student resume. You can include your education from primary, secondary, senior secondary and Undergraduate.
- In the student resume, if you have worked in some organizations before then duly include it. Adding work experience in your resume will surely make a good impression on the Admission officials.
- To make your personality clear to the official, you must also include your extracurricular activities in your resume. It will add up a good impression on the officials of you. Include your activities rather than the academic session.
- In order to make the connection with the official, you should include links to your SFW and employer friendly social media profiles. It will establish a good relation with the official and improve your chances to get selected.
- The objective should be a remark as what the resume propose. The official checks the objective of the resume in order to know the involvement of the student in the whole procedure. The objective should be clear in the resume.
- The language of the student resume should be a formal one, as any casual language form can be rejected. Always keep a grammar check and punctuation check in your resume. Try to write to the point information, no need to exaggerate things.
- State your contact details in the resume official contact you with that only. State your clear address and cell numbers more than one to avoid confusion. The letters will teach you online or by post.
- You should list your extracurricular achievements correctly as well and remember to add anything related to sports, competitions and more.
- You can also add any voluntary experience or achievement from your side that would enhance your resume and earn you brownie points in your profile.
- End your resume with place and time it was written. It will provide the official to get information about how old the resume it and much authentic.
What goes on a CV?
Since a CV is a summary of your education, skills, work experience, and your personal details, all the information mentioned pertains to these categories. A CV should include your name and contact details and personal profile/objective at the beginning that attracts the employer. After that, you have to write about your skills that are relevant to the job and your work experience.
Following that, you have to mention your educational qualifications and other achievements that make you stand out from other candidates. You can also write about your hobbies and interests to make your CV impressive. Apart from these mandatory sections, you can also include information about professional certifications, additional training, and courses, awards, volunteer experience, etc.
What is a Professional CV?
A professional CV follows a prescribed format and structure that is used for a job interview. Different professions and job positions demand a different CV format that is tailored according to the job and company requirements. A Professional CV should be written with the utmost attention. Always remember to proofread the document as it reflects your professional attitude and knowledge. Make sure your information and the CV format is up-to-date.
What a curriculum vitae should look like?
A CV should be written according to a prescribes format. Today, a number of templates and CV examples are available online and choosing the correct format is very important. Since it is a summary of your achievements and a reflection of your personality, you should never lie about your skills or achievements in a CV as it creates a bad impression.
Always follow the guidelines for writing a CV to make it look more professional. Here is an example of what a CV should look like for a working professional. Make sure to only include information that is relevant to your industry and occupation.
City, State, Country Cell Phone
Personal Information (If required)
Date of Birth
Place of Birth
Marital Status (optional)
It is a broad overview of your professional background and acts as an introduction to the CV. Write about one main idea that makes you suitable for the job position. Write about your professional experience that highlights your specific skills and qualities.
Write in reverse chronological order, recent experience first; mention the job position and dates. Write about your work history, internships, research projects.
Sales manager, 03/2016 - 07/2019
Write in reverse chronological order. Mention the dates, details of degree, school and university names. You can also write about any specific details or achievements throughout your education.
Mention any certifications and accreditations, skills that make you most suitable and desirable for the job.
Hobbies (if required)
Mention your interests and hobbies that reflect your personality. Don’t get into too many details.
What is a CV when applying for a job?
A CV is the most important document when applying for a job. A CV is tailored according to the company profile, job responsibilities, and skills required by the employer for a particular job. A CV can make or break your chances of being selected for a job, so it should be written carefully and professionally. A well-structured CV can make you stand out from other candidates and make you more suitable for the job. A CV for a job interview must be at least 2-3 pages long, giving details of your skills, achievements and work experience. Also, finish your CV with a cover letter when applying for a job, to make it look more professional.
How small can the font be on a CV?
Correct editing and formatting of the CV also play a vital role in the presentation of your CV. Writing your CV in the correct font size and style is the first step for accurate formatting. You should select a font that is simple and easy to read. A good font can make your CV look even more impressive and professional. The most common font to use is Times New Roman, with size 12 points. Make your name and headings stand out by making them bold, capitalize or underlined. A few font styles that can be used in a CV are-
- Century Gothic
How to make a CV for the first job?
Making a good first impression for fresh graduates looking for jobs is important for their career and experience. Since a fresher doesn’t have much work experience, writing a good CV in a prescribes format can make them stand out professionally. Writing a great CV is the first step in getting your dream job. Also, to make up for your lack in work experience, you can write in detail about any internships or volunteer work you have done, extra-curricular activities, and any relevant coursework that you studied in university. You should include the following in your CV-
- Write a skill-based CV where you can focus on your attributes.
- Mention skills that best describe your job position.
- You can mention your skills and abilities that are drawn from life experience.
- Focus on including your hobbies and interests.
- Never hold back important information or lie in your CV as it can create a bad impression.
- You can include any awards or certification you received in the years of education.
- Include any clubs or society you were a part of in your university.
- Make sure to include any professional qualities like computer skills or any language you know.
- Also, mention your GPA in the education section.
- Always edit and proofread.
How to write work experience in CV?
The work experience section of your CV highlights your professional record and experience and therefore needs to be accurate. It also lays down the various responsibilities and the job roles you performed. To make it impressive, you should mention what you achieved and how well you managed your responsibilities and not just what work you did. Following are a few things you should mention in this section-
- List your jobs in a reverse chronological order, the most recent ones come first.
- Mention the dates and the job positions.
- Write about your responsibilities and how you handled them.
- Include all kinds of jobs and experiences you have had, internships, part-time jobs, volunteer work, etc.
- Focus on your strengths and skills that fulfil the requirements of the job. Always use positive language.
Things to keep in mind while writing Student Resume for Studying Abroad
When applying to a foreign university for higher studies, you need to submit a student resume, that makes an essential part of the documents you submit. It includes your personal details, your previous educational qualification, your work experience, language and hobbies. It should be written in a way that attracts the management of the desired university and establishes you as a desirable candidate for that university. While writing a student resume for studying abroad, you should keep the following things in mind-
- The extent of the CV must not surpass two pages. Those two pages ought to contain your entire academic and trained outline, posting your experiences, knowledge and skills. Everything, your scholastic experience, should be included: awards and honours, research and teaching experience, publications, presentations, jobs, affiliations and extracurricular activity, etc.
- You must be the most fitting person, the immeasurable one for this particular university. To market yourself, it is not sufficient to be aware of your abilities and skills. You must know the requirements of the Institution you are applying to. Determine points that will attract attention and importance. Resume composition enables you to show your understanding of the criticisms.
- A CV is like paper that has to be supported by the metal of your abilities. The committee cross-checks the CV data, and if it is invalid, it will do no valid. Reach the moral standards: be yourself and find a spot where you will be held with the knowledge and experience you possess. The points that you mentioned in your CV should be in your other records.
- The writing has to be educational. Examine the glossary and sentence construction. Get the words to make your CV tone appealing. Choose the best action words at the commencement of every account, and let them not happen during the text. Most of the Institutions take application reports in English so you can pick a trained essay writing service to guarantee adequate style.
- Your CV will be empowered to be organized and easy to read. You may practice the general format of a CV, but it is ampler to examine the website of the university where you are applying. They often present specific choices. Thoroughly examine the advice about the purpose of your document. Select a professional-looking font, preferable 10-12 point font.
- Defectively typed writing can destroy all the efforts. When fitting in a non-English-speaking motherland, it is a magnificent idea to get your CV interpreted by expert translators. Ask someone to proofread your CV or obtain the editor’s assistance. There are thousands of reasons to study overseas and not let the formal objections be an obstacle in your way.
- Your CV is like a representation of your character so it should be well written and will be able to reflect everything about you. Not only academics but also achievements and habits of the student are also considered for admission. The officials are concerned about the qualities you will bring to the college/University.
- Keep in mind that the language of the CV should be to the point. The information should be true in the best of your knowledge. If you mention some job or work experience, you must have the documents stating that you have completed it. Don't exaggerate the information, remember to reflect only the true information in your CV.
✅ What headings should be on a CV?
Some of the headings on a CV are mandatory and must be included. These headings are then described in detail. For writing a good CV the following headings should be included-
- Personal Details
- Personal Profile
- Work Experience/ Employment History
- Professional Qualification
- Additional Information
✅ Is Photo important in a CV?
Ans- A photograph provides a complete representation of the candidate. A photo is not the most important part of a resume. The importance of a photo in a CV depends on the rules and laws of the country you are working in. certain countries expect you to put a photo, while in certain countries, including a photograph makes you look unprofessional. If your employer does require you to put a photo in your CV, it should be a professional-looking head-shot.
✅ Does CV require a signature?
Ans- Signing your document indicates proper business etiquette. You can sign-off your CV by ending it with a declaration and signing it. A declaration makes it more professional and establishes an element of trust and responsibility.
✅ What does CV stand for?
Ans. The CV stands for Curriculum Vitae and is a marketing document that describes your skills, education and work experience for applying for a job.
✅ Is it necessary to include personal information in the CV?
Ans. No, it is not necessary. It usually depends on the guidelines of the industry you are working in as well as the country you are employed in.
✅ Can I write a good resume even with no work experience?
Ans. Yes, a CV for a fresher with no work experience can be skill-based. The CV should focus on your skills and achievements to make up for the absence of work experience.
✅ How long should the CV be?
Ans. A CV should be at least 2-3 pages long. You should not get into details about the information that is not relevant to the job description.