Australia is a popular location for individuals wishing to work and study due to its lively culture, gorgeous terrain, and a strong economy. You can work, or study in Australia only if you have fulfilled the IELTS score requirement.
As English is the predominant mode of communication in Australia, you’ll need to demonstrate that you can communicate at a basic level in everyday situations, such as ordering a flat white or conversing with coworkers
IELTS score required for Study Visa in Australia
For undergraduate programmes, a study visa in Australia needs a minimum score of 5.5 in each of the four IELTS bands, with an overall minimum score of 6.0 or higher. Graduate programmes, on the other hand, need a minimum IELTS score of 6.0 in each band and a total IELTS score of 6.5 or above.
However, if you want to pursue a degree in engineering, teaching, or education studies, keep in mind that an IELTS score of 7.0 overall and per band is required.
Australia’s immigration policy is based on points, and there are three bands of IELTS scores that correlate to the points. These are the following:
- Competent English IELTS score
- Proficient English IELTS score
- Superior English IELTS score
Documents required for Australia Study Visa
When applying for an Australian student visa, you will typically need:
- Enrolment confirmation (your electronic confirmation of enrolment).
- A valid passport is required.
- The cost of your visa application
- Your GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) declaration
- Documents relating to education and job experience
- Evidence of your ability to communicate in English (such as IELTS test scores)
- Proof of financial capability (tuition fees, living expenses, expenses for dependents, return airfare)
- Your health insurance policy’s specifics (Overseas Student Health Cover)
- a mission statement
- Photos the size of a passport
- You will also need to supply extra documentation, such as parental approval, if you are under the age of 18.
Check out : Types of Scholarships for IELTS
IELTS requirement in top universities in Australia
Here’s a look at the best IELTS score for Australian institutions, especially those in the top tier:
|University||Minimum IELTS for PG||Minimum IELTS for UG|
|University of Melbourne||7||7|
|University of Sydney||6.5||6.5|
|University of Adelaide||6.5||6.5|
|Australian National University||7||6.5|
|University of Technology Sydney||6.5||6.5|
|University of New South Wales||6.5||6.5|
|University of Western Australia||6.5||6.5|
Requirements of Australian Student Visa
- Genuine Temporary Entrant: The visa criteria, which was introduced in 2011, specifies that a student visa application must be able to demonstrate a genuine purpose to stay in the nation to pursue higher education or to accompany one as a dependent.
- The Australian government considers the following elements when determining whether the GTE requirements have been met: the candidate’s immigration history, the situation in the applicant’s home country, the value of the candidate’s degree course, and the candidate’s circumstances in Australia.
- For the evaluation of the GTE requirement, students may be required to attend an interview at the nearest Australian consulate.
- Financial Requirements: Students applying for an Australian study visa must provide proof of sufficient cash to cover living, travel, and tuition expenses. Candidates must show that they have a living budget of roughly AU$20,290.
- Candidates with a dependant, such as a spouse or children, must demonstrate that they can also fund their dependents’ living expenses.
- Candidates who can demonstrate that their parents or spouses can support them and have an annual income of AU$ 60,000, on the other hand, maybe considered
- Health Requirements: Applicants for an Australian student visa may be required to undergo a medical or radiological examination.
- This is typically true for people pursuing a career as a doctor, nurse, or dentist. If a health check is required, one must schedule an appointment with a doctor who has been approved by the Australian Immigration Department.
- English Proficiency Test Scores: Scores on language proficiency exams are required for admissions and student visas. IELTS is one of Australia’s most commonly recognised language examinations.
- Character Requirements: Applicants for an Australian student visa must be of good moral character.
- A criminal record check would be conducted by the government to guarantee that the candidate does not have a significant criminal background.
- A police certificate is also required, as well as the completion of a Character Statutory Declaration Form.
Australian Student Visa: Fees Structure
International students must pay the appropriate visa fees for their Australian student visa, depending on the category. The table below represents a thorough breakdown of the fees associated with an Australian study visa:
|Student visa class||Basic Application charge||Temporary application charges||Additional charges for applicants above 18 years||Additional charges for applicants below 18 years|
|Student visa subclass 500||AU$ 630||AU$700||AU$ 460||AU$ 150|
|Student visa subclass 500 (subsequent entry)||AU$620||AU$700||AU$460||AU$150|
|Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector Student visa (subclass 500)||None||None||None||None|
|Student visa (subclass 500) for postgraduate research||AU$ 620||None||None||None|
Tips to Secure Competent IELTS Score for Australia Study Visa
A higher IELTS band assures more points, which increases the likelihood of visa clearance. The minimum IELTS score required for an Australia student visa is 6.0, whereas the minimum point requirement for an Australian permanent residency visa is 65.
The following vital techniques may be used by aspiring students who want to improve their IELTS score:
- It is necessary to begin studying at least 3 months before the exam date and design a study strategy that focuses on improving reading, writing, listening, and speaking abilities.
- To improve your writing abilities, you need also learn to use new words in phrases. Candidates must concentrate on expanding their vocabulary each day by acquiring new terms. They should strive to converse in English as much as possible by reading English journals, periodicals, newspapers, and novels.
- The exam-style and question pattern must be recognisable to test takers. Candidates will be able to take the test with more confidence, thanks to the question structure.
- To increase their fluency, one can converse with native English speakers on various topics.
- Candidates can take an online practice exam to see where their strengths and weaknesses lie. They can focus on addressing the flaws to improve their chances of receiving a better band score.
- Because IELTS examinations are extremely competitive, they must be completed within a specific time range. Candidates must improve their time management abilities in order to finish each portion of the test within the allotted time.
- If necessary, a professional IELTS tutor might be hired.
Ans: The minimum score required in your IELTS for an Australian student visa is 5.5 band in each of the four modules.
Ans: With an IELTS 5.5 score, he will probably also not receive any financial aid. You will be able to move abroad for education, but the quality of education may not be outstanding.
Ans: Indian students not only pursue the typical 4-year undergrad programs or the 2-year Masters courses including MBA, but also opt for vocational studies in Australia. IELTS is normally required by universities and colleges but in some cases yes, it is possible to study in Australia without IELTS.
Ans: Yes, you can apply for universities and colleges in Australia with an IELTS 5.5 band!
Ans: You can also try for the colleges in Singapore. They accept students with 5 band in IELTS. You can get the student visa of the USA, but you need to prepare for your interview.