Auburn University was founded in 1856 with the name of East Alabama Male College. It was founded after establishing city in 20 years. In 1872, under the Morrill Act, the college became the first land-grant institute in the South. It was renamed as the Agricultural and Mechanical College of Alabama after the granting process of land was completed. However in 1899 the name was changed again to the Alabama Polytechnic Institute. The name of the college was changed to Auburn University, in 1960 finally making it more keeping with its location. It introduced more courses and programs in 1960.
Auburn University prepares students for today's global economy. The Office of International Programs site provides detailed info regarding the international presence of Auburn University like the Office of International Education, which facilitates the International Student/Scholar immigration advising along with study abroad options, information on initiatives sponsored by the administrative units, and international admissions for UG and PG students. The university has 2,000 international students with more than 1,300 AU students studying in another country with a global faculty.