The master’s degree of science, i.e., MS is pursued after acquiring the essential knowledge in the candidate’s field of interest. When it comes to MS, the USA’s education system offers a plethora of choices for students across the globe.
There are many locations, programs and schools to choose from and this may overwhelm the candidates, even the ones from the States.
SOURCE: Singh in USA
- Start preparing for GRE as the higher your score, the higher is the chances of you getting an esteemed university.
- After GRE, get your TOEFL exam scheduled within 2-3 weeks after your GRE exam. This would help you as the vocabulary and knowledge would be fresh in your mind and the three weeks time would be enough for preparation.
- After TOEFL, start writing your SOP as well as LOR from professionals or teachers who know you the best.
- Most educational institutes have online application system, so fill those now and send them online. Do this as soon as possible.
- After you receive replies from the universities, apply for your visa.
Ms in USA
The USA is amongst the foremost outstanding study destinations for college students worldwide. USA houses are the world’s best schools with special science programs, creating MS in the USA a well-liked selection amongst students. The colleges in the USA pride themselves on being at the line of innovation, analysis, and methods.
They make sure that the most excellent ideal assets are accessible to their students. The USA delivers not solely an associate array of academic and work opportunities; however, additionally, a good variety of cultural backgrounds. USA universities are a good option for doing MS in the USA.
Top Universities USA for MS
There are many universities in USA which offer a plethora of specializations and courses in science. The country has always been welcoming to international students across the globe. It houses hundreds of foreign students.
Here are the top universities:
- Bentley University: Established in 1917, Bentley University focuses on business with Ph.D, masters and undergraduate programs.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: This University ranks at the top in the world as well as in USA. It is extremely selective and only 8% to 10% of the applicants acquire a place here.
- Stanford University: Stanford is known for its reputed business courses as well as entrepreneurial spirit. Its alumni include the founders and co-founders of Google, WhatsApp, Netflix and YouTube.
- Harvard University: Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest university of USA. It offers an array of courses in law, medicine, business, sciences, and so on.
- Golden Gate University: Founded in the year 190, Golden Gate University is a non-profit university offering graduate and undergraduate programs in law, taxation, business and management.
- Dakota State University: DSU is a public university offering courses in education as well as computer information systems, computer management, and other such related graduate and undergraduate courses.
- The University of Texas at Dallas: This public research university has its main campus in Texas’ Richardson and is well reputed for its MS degree courses.
- Georgia Institute of Technology: This esteemed public research university has its satellite campuses across Singapore, Shenzhen, Athlone, Metz, and Savannah.
- New York Institute of Technology: This private doctoral research university has two main campuses and a cybercity research center as well. It also has its campuses in Canada, China, UAE and Arkansas.
- University of Southern California: This private research university in Los Angeles is the oldest of its kind in California.
Cost of MS in USA
The cost of an MS degree in the USA is significantly cheaper than getting an MBA degree from USA. However, that is just a relative term. Candidates need to know the several cost components which add up to the total expense of an MS degree.
- On average, tuition fees for universities range from $15,000 to $30,000 a year. So, for a two-year course, the total cost would be around $45,000 (without scholarships).
- Living expenses vary from person to person. On average, students usually spend around $500=1000 every month that includes everything. For a two-year course, you will spend close to $15,000.
- The GRE, TOEFL/IELTS as well as the applications would cost around $200, $170 and $1,100 respectively.
- Other costs include one-way airfare that would cost around $700 as well as counseling of $400.
- To summarize and add up all the costs, a student pursuing an MS degree from USA would end up shelling approximately $63,000 for a two-year course.
Also Read: 8 Cheapest Countries to Study Abroad- 2020
MS in USA Fees
With no financial aid or scholarship, MS in USA would cost anywhere between $1-, 000 to $75,000 which is around 6 to 40 lakh in Indian currency. Best universities like CMU fall in a higher range of fees.
Here are the top universities along with their fees:
|University Name||Fee In Rupee|
|Harvard University||Rs. 51.4 lakhs|
|California Lutheran University||Rs. 22.3 lakhs|
|Stanford University||Rs. 47.2 lakhs|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Rs. 51.9 lakhs|
|Golden Gate University||Rs. 28.8 lakhs|
|Dakota State University||Rs. 13.8 lakhs|
|The University of Texas at Dallas||Rs. 32.1 lakhs|
|Georgia Institute of Technology||Rs. 31.3 lakhs|
|New York Institute of Technology||Rs. 27.8 lakhs|
|University of Southern California||Rs. 41.3 lakhs|
How to do MS in USA?
Acquiring a Master’s of Science degree from USA is a dream of thousands of scholars across the world. Universities of America are known for their top-notch quality of education as well as exposure.
Here is how you can do your MS in USA:
- The first step is to make a list of all the universities that offer the student’s choice of course or program. You must do this in May or June of the previous year.
- Check the deadlines of specific programs that the candidate wishes to apply for. It is very important to check the deadlines of individual department of USA’s universities to know the opening as well as closing dates of applications.
- Before starting the application procedure, make sure to go through the eligibility requirements for the particular university’s MS course.
- For enrolling in an MS course in USA, candidates must appear for the standardized tests set by individual universities. You need to appear for tests like GRE, TOEFL, IELTS, MCAT, LSAT, etc.
- Now, arrange your application package. You would need intent references and statements apart from your academic transcripts. An ideal application package for an MS degree includes a Statement of Purpose (SoP), Letter of Recommendation (LoR), academic transcripts, an essay, a resume and your scores.
Also Read: Commonwealth Scholarship
Scholarship For MS in USA
When it comes to an MS degree in USA, there are two kinds of scholarships that you can avail: Third part scholarships that are offered by organizations outside the university, and the graduation school that is offering admission for the MS degree.
Here are the top scholarships for MS degree in USA:
- Inlaks Shivdasani Foundation scholarships: It is for students willing to study abroad in Europe or North America and have presented great talent in their respective fields.
- Amherst College scholarships: The College operates a need-based financial aid program which offers assistance to the financially backward international candidates.
- Illinois Wesleyan University scholarships: This merit-based scholarship is provided to the qualified international students with exceptional test scores and academic achievements on the needed entrance examinations.
- Concordia College scholarships: Concordia College provides partial financial help to the international students based on the contributions they make on campus.
- Columbia College scholarships: Columbia College provides awards and scholarships for exceptional international students. These awards are 155 to 100% tuition fee reduction or one-time cash grants.
How To Get a scholarship for MS in USA?
International students often miss out on scholarship opportunities since they fail in applying for a scholarship on time. Many also make the mistake of assuming that the scholarship deadlines and the university’s admission deadlines are the same.
Here is how you can apply for a scholarship before the deadline:
- Check the eligibility criteria of the scholarships you want to avail. Unless a candidate meets the requirements, s/he cannot apply for the scholarships. Check the eligibility criteria of the scholarships and/or financial aid at the targeted universities.
- Make sure to score well in your undergraduate degree since the universities rarely look at your high school scores. It’s the bachelor’s degree marks that matter. If you have a poor score in GMAT or GRE but a high GPA, there is a decent chance of yours to get a scholarship.
- If you are among those candidates who cannot perform well in the standardized exams but have an excellent GPA in the undergraduate level, you still have a good chance at the scholarships.
- Volunteering and leadership skills are given great importance by the universities while considering candidates for the scholarships. Learn the art of managing projects, budget and people while demonstrating your ability to lead. For scholarships, all sorts of achievements matter. Be it in oratory competitions, scoring among the top 5 in class, or any paper publications- all this increases your chance of getting a scholarship.
- Make sure to write an honest scholarship essay since it is your best chance at making the provider understands why you would be the best choice for the scholarship. Your essay should reflect your skills, passion as well as a plan for accomplishing your goals. It should clearly explain how that scholarship can create a huge difference while making your journey fruitful.
Fall 2020 deadlines for MS in USA
For doing MS in the USA, deadlines vary from program to program. So, do check the individual pages of the university websites also. You must additionally Submit applications a minimum of two weeks before the deadlines to do MS in the USA so as to enhance your admission probabilities.
|University for doing ms in USA||Deadline for ms in USA||GRE quants Range/ average||GRE verbal Range / average|
|Harvard University||Dec 1, Dec 15, Jan 2||155 - 170||155 - 166|
|University of Michigan||Jan 15, 2020||167||165|
|Stanford University||Dec 3, 2019||167||161|
|Northwestern University||Dec 15, 2019||157 - 161||151 - 160|
|MIT||Dec 1, Dec 15, 2019||155 - 167||155 - 163|
|Purdue University||Dec 15, 2019, May 1, 2020||164||158 - 161|
|CalTech||Dec 1, Dec 15, Jan 1||164 - 168||159 - 166|
|Rice University||Jan 15, Mar 15, 2020||165||161|
|UC Berkeley||Dec 2, Dec 9, Dec 16||166||158|
|New York University (NYU)||Dec 15, 2019||164||152|
|Georgia Tech||Dec 16, Feb 1||164||155|
|UC San Diego||Dec 17, 2019 (anticipated)||167||159|
|UT Austin||Dec 1, Dec 7, Jan 7||157 - 168||155|
|Carnegie Mellon||Dec 15, 2019, Jan 15, 2020||163||159|
|Columbia University||Dec 15 / Feb 15||156 - 170||154 - 167|
|Wisconsin-Madison||Dec 15, 2019 / Jan 1, 2020||166||157|
|UC Davis||Dec 1, Jan 5, Jan 15, Apr 1||161||152|
|Cornell University||Dec 3, Jan 1, Feb 1||161 – 165||149 – 153|
|Yale University||Dec 15, Jan 2||160 - 167||155 - 165|
|Illinois Urbana Champaign||Dec 15, Jan 15||159 - 166||155 - 162|
|UC Los Angeles||Dec 1, Dec 5, 2019||163||154|
|Duke University||Jan 1, Jan 15||154 - 160||160 - 165|
|University of Southern California||Dec 15, 2019, Jan 15, 2020||155 - 167||151 - 162|
|University of Chicago||Jan 4, Apr 5, 2020||161||156|
|Johns Hopkins University||Dec 22, Jan 4, Feb 15||160 - 165||155 - 169|
|University of Pennsylvania||Nov 15 , Feb 1 , Mar 15||166||155|
|Arizona State University||Dec 1, Dec 15, Dec 31, Jan 15||162||150|
Thousands of Indian students aspire to acquire a Masters’s of Science degree from USA since it is among the most developed countries as well as a job creator nexus for all the students.
The luxuries, quality of education and facilities offered by the USA are what students look forward to when making career plans.
Eligibility for MS in USA for Indian Students
One of the most asked questions by Indian students is what is the eligibility criteria for pursuing a Master’s of Science degree in the US.
Although the eligibility requirements may look intimidating at first, it gets pretty simple once your proper plan and understand all the required components.
- Sixteen years of education: Mostly, the US universities demand 16 years of formal education for being eligible for a course in MS. Ten years of schooling and two years of junior college along with a graduation course from India which is of three years. This becomes a total of 15 years. Fortunately, many universities have started accepting 15 years of education as well.
- Test Scores: TOEFL and IELTS are the two tests that check your English proficiency. You must also appear for GMAT or GRE for qualifying for a program in MS.
- Practical Experience: Several MS degree programs such as technology, education, and medicine, require internships and practical experience. Therefore, having professional experience along with attending lectures, writing thesis and participating in group discussions will help you.
- Scholastic Records: Some US colleges may all go through your extracurricular activities, distributed work and investigate work, your proposals, and the colleges/schools you visited for judging you.
- LoR and SoP: You will be asked to submit a Statement of Purpose as well as a Letter of Recommendation so make sure you work on them carefully and give it your best.
Also Read: JK Scholarship- All You Need To Know
Minimum CGPA required for MS in USA
If we talk about the Indian Grading System, CGPA of 6 would be enough for getting enrolled for MS in USA.
Usually, the graduate programs demand a CGPA of minimum 3.0. However, there are many other factors that also determine the candidates’ selection in a particular university.
Here is how you can improve your CGPA:
- If you are still in your graduate school, make sure to attend your lectures regularly. Detailed, oral explanations help in understanding the content a lot better.
- Make a study routine and stick to it. Implement a study strategy that would complement your learning style and schedule.
- Get in the habit of weekend study review where every weekend, you review all the notes of your course. You don’t need to extensively read all; just a run-through would be enough for building familiarity with your material.
- Visit a library as dorm rooms are not a great place for studying. In the library, you tend to get less disturbed and distracted by your mates. The vibe of the library would always switch you into a reading mode.
- Try to set a GPA goal for yourself and if you achieve it, don’t forget to reward yourself because little incentives never hurt.
MS in Marketing USA
A master’s degree in marketing is sought after by students who have a niche in creating and implementing promotional and advertising strategies for selling services and products.
The United States of America houses some of the most prestigious universities for marketing.
- A master’s degree in Marketing combines theories of business management, consumer behavior, marketing research and finance. The course teaches the students ways of promoting services and products for increasing sale revenues.
- The marketing students will be developing analytical and technical skills for creating advertising campaigns while emphasizing on promotion, place, price and product.
- Effective strategies for marketing help in addressing potential customers while implementing campaigns and creating a positive brand image for the company you would represent.
- Marketing degree studies make the students capable of identifying the target market or target audience. Gathering the resulting data as well as analyzing the campaign results is also important for improvement and learning.
- Students with marketing degrees have great career options as social media managers, public relations officers, media planners, advertising account executives, market researchers, etc.
The top universities in USA for getting a master’s degree in marketing are:
- Bentley University
- University of Pennsylvania
- Bryant University
- Saint Joseph’s University
- Washington University in St Louis
- Columbia Business School
- Siena College
- Southern Methodist University
- Georgetown University
- Fairfield University
Salary After MS in USA
The USA is on the top when it comes to higher education facilities and resources along with faculty. It is also among the friendliest nations for immigrating to, for studying while earning a living. Here are the top ten domains in the USA with an average salary for students with a master’s degree in marketing:
- Business- $71,663
- Computer Science- $72,080
- Engineering- $73,871
- Mathematics and Sciences- $67,891
- Communications- $55,727
- Social Sciences- $52,333
Why MS in US?
Over the last decade, the USA has dominated the world in being the most sought-after university destination for students from across the globe.
Somehow, even after the development of various other English-taught choices in various other nations, most of the students prefer studying in the USA.
Here are some reasons which make the USA the most popular destination for further studies:
- Degrees from USA have a brilliant international reputation. The country continues to maintain a powerful presence in the top ranked educational institutes of the world. This is primarily because of the high academic standards as well as rigorous requirements that are instilled in the students.
- Universities of the USA provide great support facilities through training, workshops, practice courses and orientations for ensuring a smooth transition of the students in the students.
- There is a high investment on optimizing classroom experiences by the US universities. Students are provided more access to the web-based classes, various resources and labs, and computer-based tests for bringing forth an ultra-modern and high standard classroom experience.
- American universities have a very flexible environment academically. Studying in USA exposes you to flexible methods towards educations along with continuous development for the applicants in several fields of study.
- Universities in America make it a point to shift their instruction methods as well as classroom structures based on your goals, interests, and strengths. This makes learning more engaging and relevant to the students’ domain.
MS in USA Courses
- MS in Computer Science: CS lets you choose from an array of specializations such as algorithms, databases, computational geometry, graphics, data mining, software engineering, compilers, security, robotics, human-computer interaction, and so on.
- MS in Embedded Systems: This specialization is preferred by the students of Electrical and Electronics background. Computers, EEE and ECE students can go for this major.
- MS in Wireless Communications: Ph.D. and MS courses in Wireless communication tackle with lower and physical layers of the wireless communication. These programs over in-depth system knowledge that need information of the wireless system and its components.
- MS in Power Engineering: This field deals with distribution and transmission systems, rotating machinery, system protection, surge phenomena, dynamics, and so on.
- MS in Management Information Systems: MS in MIS has both IT and business courses in the curriculum. It studies the application of Information Systems to organizations. It is a popular course for potential business analysts, IT managers, system analysts as well as programmers in insurance, banking, marketing, healthcare, and other such domains.
- MS in Game Development and Game Design: This course needs candidates with strong knowledge on computer science, engineering-oriented core for game development, and keen interest in games, immersion, games and cognition, infrastructure, and so on.
- Petroleum Engineering: It involves the technology of the economically developing as well as producing various subterranean reservoirs of steam, oil, hot water and gas. It also designs underground waste disposal facilities. It depends on the key concepts of economics, physics, geology, chemistry, fluid mechanics, mathematics, and thermodynamics.
- MS in Life Sciences: It includes fields of science that involve scientific studies of living organisms, and related considerations such as bioethics. Although biology is the main focus of life sciences, the technological advances of molecular biology, as well as biotechnology, have resulted in the growth of the specializations in various new fields.
- MS in Pharmacy: This includes Majors such as MS in Pharmacy, Health Administration, MS/ Ph.D. in Chemistry, pharmaceutical administration, Pharmacology, Biology, Drug Administration, MS in pharmaceutics, pharmaceutical chemistry, etc
- MS in Very-large-scale integration: VLSI is the procedure to integrate thousands of constituents on one silicon chip. MS in VLSI is generally provided as a specialization in Electrical Engineering or Electrical and Computer Engineering majors in the schools of USA.
A candidate’s enrollment in an MS course depends on their standardized exam scores such as TOEFL and GRE as well as academic performance. Here are some of the most popular specializations that you can consider going for in USA:
How to Apply for MS in USA from India?
Masters in Science degree is a two-year course for graduate study which can either be completely course-based, research-based on a mix of both.
If you have a bachelor’s degree in science, you can apply for MS in USA from India in the following way:
- You need to be a graduate from any accredited undergraduate curriculum for enrolling in an MS degree. You need to pass 15-16 years of education.
- Choose which semester you wish to apply for: spring semester that begins in January or the fall semester that begins in September.
- Start your preparation and appear for the TOEFL and GRE examinations according to the application deadlines of the spring or fall semester.
- Choose 5-10 universities which accept the scores you have secured in your TOEFL/GRE as well as your academic percentage.
- Make sure to check and apply only to those universities which have education costs that fall within your budget.
- Make sure that the course you choose is accredited. Accreditation is basically a certificate which ensures that a program or school meets the prescribed academic standards.
- To get admission into an MS course of USA, make sure to have a bank cheque/demand draft for your application fees, copies of your IELTS/GMAT/TOEFL/GRE scores, your bachelor’s degrees official transcripts, Statement of Purpose, 2-3 Letters of Recommendation, 10th/ICSE/SSC or equivalent certificates, 12th/ISC/HSC or equivalent certificates, proofs and copies of relevant extra-curricular activities, affidavit, resume, study certificate/work experience, and copies of first as well as last pages of passport.
- Some colleges may also possess distinctive pre-requisites for the papers. They may ask you to compose an article on any arbitrary subjects. So, do your preparation well.
- Keep tracking all your applications to all the universities where you apply.
- If you have a B.Sc. degree from India, i.e., 15 years of education, you must pursue a master’s degree or one-year diploma course or go for a substantial pre-requisite course as mentioned by the department of the university you have applied to.
Master Degree in USA: Complete Step by Step Guidelines for USA Admission Process
Source: AdmitKard Youtube
MS in USA without GRE
There are various American universities that accept candidates without GRE scores. You don’t need to submit your GRE score card during admissions in these universities. Moreover, there are also specific programs in certain universities which may enroll students without a GRE score. Some of these universities are:
- Columbia University: Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation
- Alabama A&M University: School of Graduate Studies
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- North Carolina State University
- University of the Pacific: McGeorge School of Law
- Central Michigan University
- University of California, Berkeley
- Oakland University
- University of Toronto: OISE Institute for Studies in Education
- George Mason University
Education Loan for MS in USA
The application procedure for most American universities begins in October. Therefore, candidates must start the loan evaluation and loan sanction process as early as possible after getting the admission confirmation from the university. Here’s how you can get an education loan:
- Finalizing the course and university you want to study in.
- Estimate the amount need for financing your education.
- Identify the guarantor.
- Apply for your loan three months prior to your date of visa interview.
- Estimate the amount of time of disbursement.
The documents you would require are:
- Proof of admission (University offer letter) and the estimated costs of study
- Income proof and IT returns of the co-borrower.
- Filled loan application form and identify and residential proofs (Passport copy, PAN card, etc.) of the students as well as the co-borrower.
- Original mark sheets, certificates, documents of TOEFL, GMAT, etc. qualifying exams.
- Details of liabilities and assets of guarantors/co-obligants/parents.
Is it worth doing MS in USA?
Firstly, be clear with your aspirations in life. Know your weaknesses, limits and strengths. If you are financially stable enough to afford the high cost of education and living in the US, then you must definitely give it a shot. Here’s why:
- The quality of education in US is brilliant.
- American universities offer immense exposure and opportunities.
- US universities offer cutting edge technologies and advanced classroom experiences.
- US universities will also bring you closer to a culture completely different than yours.
- There is also a chance of acquiring a work visa and ultimately living the “American dream”.
1 Year MS in USA
The 1 year programs for master’s degree is great for those who want to get back to the post-graduate studies for obtaining a degree within short time duration. This helps the professionals or students in getting back to their work while planning their careers. American universities that offer 1 year MS degree are:
- Carnegie Mellon University- MISM, MS in Computer Science
- Indiana University Bloomington- MS IS
- University of Illinois Chicago- MS in Technology Management
- Colorado State University- MS in Biomedical Sciences
- Princeton University- MS in Electrical Engineering
MS In Computer Science, USA
A master’s degree in Computer Science is ideal for all those who are willing to take up their bachelor’s level introductory course ahead while covering an array of subjects within CS at a very in-depth level.
- During the course, students learn to understand the different programming languages while maintaining several operating systems as well as creating secure and safe computer networks.
- Most of the courses are computer based but they also offer traditional coursework in calculus, statistics, and research methodologies.
- Some of the popular courses are data structures, computer networking, computer operating systems, programming languages, database system analysis, etc.
- The courses cover areas like information systems, artificial intelligence and algorithms. After graduation, the students are required to submit their capstone project or research-based theses which emphasizes on their specific field of interest.
- Most CS courses usually take two years for completion and some are also offered online. For applying, the candidate must have a bachelor’s degree and is required to submit their GRE scores along with undergraduate transcripts
Exam for MS in USA
Thousands of students across the globe dream of pursuing MS from the universities of USA. They come from different cultural, social and educational backgrounds. Hence, for comparing the aptitude of different students from different countries on one common platform, USA needs all the international students to appear for certain eligibility criteria to pursue MS.
- GMAT (Graduate Management Admission Test): This is designed for testing certain reading, verbal, quantitative, writing, and analytical skills in written English. It also tests your problem- solving abilities by addressing critical reasoning, logic and data sufficiency skills.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination): This test basically tests your quantitative and verbal reasoning, critical thinking and analytical writing skills. This standardized eligibility exam is created as well as administered by ETS (Educational Testing Service).
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language): TOEFL tests how well the candidates use speaking, writing, reading and listening skills in an academic year. It is conducted for testing the candidate’s proficiency of English for studying in an English-speaking country.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System): This entrance examination tests the proficiency of English of those applicants who do not have English as their native language. The IELTS test has four sections: speaking, writing, reading and listening.
- SAT (Scholastic Assessment Test): This standardized exam tests the candidates’ skills in writing, mathematics and reading. The reading section tests your vocabulary, interpreting and reading abilities. The Math section tests yours statistics, algebra, geometry, and other such Math models. The writing section tests your grammar usage and writing skills.
Masters in MIT USA
A master’s degree from MIT requires the candidates to have at least one academic year of study while for the engineering degrees, it is two years.
Different departments have different application procedures. All the graduate-level candidates are required to apply online via an online portal to MIT.
- MIT aims at educating students in technology, science, as well as various other fields of scholarship which will best serve the world in this twenty-first century.
- The passion to work effectively, creatively, and wisely are inculcated in all the students of MIT for the betterment of human race.
- Most departments of MIT ask for past experience in the candidate’s area of interest as well as in physical sciences and mathematics. Applicants willing to apply in more than one department are required to submit separate applications.
- The candidates’ professional and academic acumen is judged on the basis of their letters of recommendations as well as academic records. Top scores in academics don’t guarantee admission but let the MIT officials know that the candidate meets the university requirements.
- The candidate’s performance on the standardized tests like IELTS, TOEFL, and GRE is also of great importance. Some management programs at MIT also accept GMAT score. Few departments can waive IELTS/TOEFL for the candidates from English-speaking colleges. GRE waiver is not available.
Top Rankings Universities For MS
United States is home to universities that always dominate the highest-ranking list. These reputable and prestigious institutions invite students from across the world for brilliant learning opportunities and career paths.
The top-ranking universities of the US are:
|California Institute of Technology||5|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||1|
|University of Chicago||10|
|University of Pennsylvania||15|
|Johns Hopkins University||24|
|University of California, Berkeley||28|
Duration of MS in USA
Usually, a master’s degree from America takes upto one to three years. Thesis required degrees take more time than the non-thesis degrees. Some universities also let you complete your MS in one year. Some take three years on the basis of the time taken for the thesis.
The program duration varies from one year to four to five years as per the country and the course. You can complete MS in one year but MBA can’t be completed in one year in America.
MBA vs MS in USA
MBA and MS courses are the most popular postgraduate degrees in America. These study programs emphasize on administration and scientific knowledge respectively.
Often, students get confused between the two and cannot decide which to opt for. As many engineering students go for a management career, it becomes a dilemma as to what degree to pursue.
|Master of Science (MS)||Master of Business Administration (MBA)|
|MS degrees focus on engineering, medicine, mathematics, and |
science-related specialized streams of study.
|MBA degrees focus on specialized |
subjects related to business management.
|The duration of the degree is |
usually 1-3 years.
|The duration of the degree is |
usually 1-2 years or more.
|It requires 30 credit hours.||It requires 36-48 credit hours.|
|Students can go for doctoral level |
courses after this degree.
|Students can directly go for jobs |
with their designations at the management level.
|There is no requirement of work |
|There is a requirement of 2 to 5 |
years of work experience.
|Employment opportunities include areas of computer science, mathematics, engineering and sciences.||Employment opportunities include areas of consulting, banking, |
finance, private equity, investment banking, operations, etc.
|Base Salary: $75,000 to $82,000||Base Salary: $89,000 to $97,000|
|The primary focuses in on acquiring technical skills within a selected area of study.||The primary focus is on gaining management and business skills.|
|Scholarships and endowments are available.||Scholarships and endowments are available.|
|It is perfect for career changers.||It is perfect for career |
Masters in Management USA
A master’s degree in management is ideal for fresh graduates as well as aspiring leaders who are passionate for a career in management with little to no work experience.
The best programs for are business analytics, management, and finance.
- Master in Management (MiM) degrees are given as MA or MS, and emphasize on theoretical knowledge, unlike an average MBA. The universities also emphasize on offering training-related management abilities like communication, leadership, and analytical skills.
- The most popular MiM topics include marketing analytics, global business management, performance management system, operations management, innovation and, entrepreneurship, corporate finance, and so on.
- During the course, the students get to know about various software tools and managerial practices along with marketing strategies in international and national contexts.
- Students with an MS degree in management get brilliant career opportunities in the fields of finance, accounting, marketing, healthcare, human resource, consultancy, supply chain management, public administration, etc.
- Postgraduates in management get to work as account managers, marketing managers, budget strategists, investment brokers, business consultants, account managers, and more.
After MS in USA
The pursuit of studying abroad is usually regarded as a huge investment. Every year, candidates get admitted in MS programs across the globe for availing the best education.
And every year, America is most ahead in the international admission of college graduates across India.
Here are the major scopes in studies after acquiring an MS degree:
- Data Science
- Machine Techniques
- Artificial Intelligence
- Health Profession
- Computer Sciences and Mathematics
An MS degree also opens up many job opportunities such as:
- Investment Brokers
- Account Managers
- Budget Strategists
- Marketing Managers
- Business Consultants
Cheapest MS in USA
As a Masters in Science program is research-intensive, the tuition fees depend on the total number of credit hours in one semester. Here are some affordable universities of America where the costs of studying MS are not pricy:
- Lehigh University- Computer Science
- Sonoma State University- Physics and Mathematics
- San Diego State University- Information Systems
- North Seattle Community College- Engineering and Designing
- Dakota State University- Health Informatics
GRE Score Required for MS in USA
The top graduate programs of USA give a lot of weight to the GRE scores during the application procedure. The scores vary from university to university.
Moreover, even within a university, the scores differ from field to field.
|UNIVERSITY NAME||AVERAGE VERBAL||AVERAGE QUANTITATIVE|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||162||167|
|University of California-Berkeley||157||165|
|University of Pennsylvania||155||166|
|Carnegie Mellon University||154||161|
|University of South California||151||163|
Documents Required for MS in USA
The first step to applying in universities is of filling the online application form. If it is unavailable online, download the paper form via the official website of the university.
Then, you need to send all the required documents to the admission office of the university.
Documents required for MS in the USA are as follows:
Expenses for MS in USA
Students planning to pursue an MS degree in American universities must figure out how to manage the expenses for their degree program as well as their cost of living.
Places like New York, California, Boston, Florida, New Jersey and Washington are popular and hence, more expensive.
So, keep in mind the place as well while planning your budget and expenses.
- Tuition fees are the biggest expense that a student has to make abroad. You can avail financial aids and scholarships for reducing the costs.
- If you want to save on your living costs, apply for hostel accommodation or rent an apartment with a roommate(s). Your apartment rent will depend on the location, apartment size, distance from the university and number of roommates.
- One-way flight ticket to America can cost anywhere from $800 to $1250 depending on the date of travel and the city.
- Although bigger cities are more expensive, but they offer a plethora of opportunities for finding a decent-paying side job and/or internship.
- Places like Oklahoma, Mississippi, Alabama, and Texas offer cheaper tuition fees and affordable places to live.
How many backlogs are allowed for MS in USA?
Most universities in USA prefer candidates with no backlogs, however, in certain cases; they accept a maximum of five backlogs.
If your GRE score is between 315 to 325 but you have 7-8 backlogs, there are chances that you will still get into a prestigious institution of America.
Here is how you can avoid backlogs:
- Make your notes in class and every weekend; go through them just to get an easy revision.
- Do your assignments on your own. While taking help from the internet is understandable, plagiarism is completely unacceptable. Study, research and understand and then do your assignment to learn better.
- Ask questions. If you don’t understand a specific thing, ask your professor to explain it again. Don’t shy away from clearing your doubts.
- Find out the areas you are weak in and focus more on those.
- Make good, disciplined friends who would motivate you to study instead of distracting you.
Here is what to do if you have backlogs:
- If you have over ten backlogs, do thorough research prior to applying at any university in the USA. You will be enrolled on the basis of the discretion of the universities.
- Talk to your counselors for knowing more regarding the backlog exemption strategies of institutions abroad. The universities which accept over 15 backlogs demand higher tuition fee.
- Keep in mind that in most cases, internships, research projects, extra-curricular activities, and other out-of-classroom participations add up to the academic skills while compensating for the backlogs.
- Make sure to do well in your standardized tests like GRE and TOEFL so that it can give you a decent score.
- Work on your personality since some colleges do not care about your academic performance and give more emphasis on your overall personality.
MS in US vs Canada
Both Canada and US are excellent destinations for pursuing a Masters’ of Science degree but they share some significant differences. While Canada is cheaper and offer better job opportunities, USA’s universities clearly dominate the world rankings.
Let’s examine their differences:
|Criteria||MS in US||MS in Canada|
|Entry Criteria||16 years of education, good IELTS/GRE/TOEFL score||Proof of educational funding, qualifying GRE/TOEFL/IELTS|
|Expenses||Tuition fee: $ 15,000-$60,000 a year|
Cost of living: $10,000-$15,000 a year
|Tuition fee: CAD$ 20,00 a year|
Cost of living: CAD$10,800 a year
|Scholarships||There are various scholarships, financial aids, and external scholarships schemes available.||Students loans, students grants, scholarships, educational savings, and financial assistance available.|
|Job Opportunities||Students with master degrees earn an average of $60,000 to $90,000 per annum.||Students with master degrees earn an average of CAD $60,000 per annum at entry-level.|
|PR and Work Permit||MS graduates are allowed to stay back in America by acquiring a temporary employment permit that lets a students work there for twelve months.||If a person manages to get a secure or permanent job, it becomes very easy to acquire a PR from the Canadian government.|
MS in US or Germany
Students often get confused if they should apply in German or US universities for their master’s program. While both the countries are home to highly prestigious universities, both have some differences as well.
Let’s go through them.
|Criteria||MS in USA||MS in Germany|
|Courses Offered||Engineering, Biotechnology, Life Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science.||Automobile Engineering, Civil Engineering, Life Sciences, and Mechanical Engineering.|
|Scholarships||US offers scholarships that can potentially cover as much as 80% of the student’s tuition fee.||16 states of Germany have abolished tuition fee at undergrad level and there are many scholarships for the MS degree students.|
|Fee Structure||$20,000 to $60,000 annually||€20,000 to €50,000 annually|
|Visa Process||F1 is the full-time student visa. Students can stay for 60 days after completing their degree unless they have acquired a work permit.||For staying in Germany for over 90 days, one needs a residence permit which is hard to get. The permit is just valid for two years and needs to be renewed.|
|Cost of Living||$10,000 to $12,000 annually||€10000 annually|
Salary after MS in USA
The USA is not only a brilliant education destination but is also among the best countries for studying and subsequently, earning a living.
Students with an MS degree get high great opportunities of showing their talent in high paying jobs and industries.
|Job Description||Average Salary (Starting)|
|Mathematics and Sciences||$67,891|
San Francisco, San Diego, New York, Los Angeles, Washington DC, and
Students in America are permitted to work for twenty hours a week. Also, try getting fee waivers that will cover a portion of your fee. You can also live with a roommate to share the apartment rent.
In most cases, yes. American graduate schools will teach you a lot and expose you to better opportunities- career as well as job-wise.
There is no specific age limit. Generally, most universities require the candidates to have 15-16 years of education for pursuing a Master’s in Science degree.
Yes. Students of Civil Engineering, Communication Engineering, and Electrical Engineering can switch to MS degree in Computer Science.
Firstly, research all your options and know your priorities. Figure out which course(s) you are interested in, the best universities offering that course and then narrow down the list to the ones that fall in your budget.
The academic year in US universities begins in August and goes on till May with holiday breaks.
- Innovation-Engineering Colleges In California
- Interior-Design Colleges In California
- International-Business Colleges In California
- International-Relations Colleges In California
- Leadership Colleges In California
- Liberal-Studies Colleges In California
- Management-Others Colleges In California
- Manufacturing-Engineering Colleges In California
- Marketing Colleges In California
- Mass-Communication-And-Journalism Colleges In California