PhD after MBA can simply be called the ‘road less taken.’ Not many people pursue a PhD in Commerce, it is a field that is relatively unknown and does not attract many pursuers.
PhD after MBA is more useful in the academic field than a professional one. The ROI and opportunity cost for this course are also not up to the par initially, however, it does not mean that the course is not worth it, a PhD can be quite rewarding if done right.
PhD After MBA
PhD after MBA may not be as advantageous as one may expect it to be. After getting done with an MBA, many prefer to increase their work experience rather than pursue a PhD; but if you are interested in doing research in the field of your interest, PhD may be the perfect course for you to take up.
Apart from the extensive knowledge which the course provides, PhD researchers also get a chance to do individual research and study which puts them apart from other managers.
- PhD is a rigorous course that requires a lot of dedication and hard work.
- It can be tedious as there is a lot of time one needs to invest in a PhD
- The PhD course combines theoretical knowledge with practical application.
- There are many practical approaches and methods like field studies, experimental methods, econometrics, etc. which are used during PhDs.
- It is a course for those who want to teach Management.
- The profession of the Professor is most reputable and sought after.
- PhD researchers also work as consultants in the top firms.
- PhD trains researchers and increases their analytical skills.
- Positions in analytics are offered commonly to PhD researchers because of their skillset.
- The growth is considerably slow and one may not earn much before getting tenure.
Benefits of phd after mba
While we’re in the specifics of each PhD after MBA school, let’s have a look at the benefits of PhD after MBA and why it’s such a good career choice:
- PhD after MBA allows students to undertake research and perform in-field studies of ideas and specialities that you couldn’t do during your MBA.
- MBA degrees give profitable employment opportunities in and of itself, but after obtaining a PhD, MBA degrees become considerably more useful.
- The research conducted during a PhD following an MBA helps to raise knowledge of new business insights and trends throughout the world, which aids in more effective company management.
- Having an MBA degree, a person with a PhD can earn a lot of money. A top MBA College lecturer earns millions more than someone with an MBA degree.
- PhD after MBA permits them to work in the field of management, finance, or business research, setting them distinct from other managers who have just completed an MBA.
PhD Courses after MBA
|Finance||The prime areas of focus are Asset Pricing, Portfolio Management, Corporate finance, Macroeconomics, International Finance, etc.|
|Accounting||Accounting focuses on solving issues, using economics related to accounting.|
|Marketing||It focuses on solving marketing management issues faced by the companies.|
|Organizational Behavior||The prime areas of focus are psychology, sociology and their impact on behavior within complex organizations.|
|Business Economics||It is a combination of economic analysis with business and the major areas of focus are Development Economics, Behavioral Economics, Urban Economics, etc.|
|Operations, Information & Technology||It focuses on the study of the management of systems, networks, and processes.|
- PhD Finance is a research-based programme that prepares students for a successful academic career.
- After earning an MBA in Finance, students pursue a PhD in Finance.
- PhD finance focuses on advanced topics such as share valuation, privatisation and globalisation, cost and management accounting, and so on.
- PhD Marketing is a three-year doctoral degree that prepares students to teach and do research in the disciplines of marketing and allied fields.
- The entrance test and personal interview are used to determine admission to this programme. After completing an MBA in Marketing, any applicant with a postgraduate degree in a related field is entitled to apply for a PhD.
- PhD Marketing is a highly competitive field, with jobs such as Market Research Analyst, Marketing Communications Leader, Marketing Executive, and others paying between INR 2,00,000 and INR 10,00,000.
PhD Organization Behaviour
- PhD Organization Behaviour is a three- to five-year doctoral programme that studies human behaviour in organisations.
- A candidate for a PhD following an MBA in Organization Behaviour must have a Master’s degree or an M.Phil. in the relevant subject of study with a minimum aggregate of 55%.
- Candidates can get work in organisations such as Academic Institutions, Colleges, Finance, Marketing, Information Technology, and others after successfully completing the Ph.D. Organization Behaviour programme, with an average pay of INR 4,00,000 – INR 8,00,000.
PhD Business Management
- PhD Business Management is a three-year doctoral degree that focuses on actions such as leading, monitoring, coordinating, and planning that are involved in operating a business.
- A master’s degree in related fields with a minimum aggregate of 50% or higher qualifies a student for a PhD after completing an MBA in Business Management.
- PhD in Business Management graduates can find work in areas such as colleges and universities, finance, information technology, banking, management, operations, supply chain management, MNCs, product development, human resources, and more, with average salaries ranging from INR 4,00,000 to INR 8,00,000.
PhD in Management
PhD in management is one of the highest academic degrees awarded in the study of management. A PhD in Management degree was designed for those seeking academic research and teaching careers as faculty or professors in the field of management at business schools worldwide.
Following are the advantages of doing PhD in Management:
- To gain a competitive edge: A PhD in Management is an immediately marketable asset that will give you a competitive edge in today’s workforce. A PhD in Management proves that you have an impressive level of credibility, proving expertise in your field of study and a lifelong commitment to learning which will help you fulfill your professional goals.
- Helps you become a better thinker: A good PhD in Management program encourages you to do more than just consume what has been taught in the classes – it teaches you to create it and become a good thinker. By moving past passive learning, you’ll achieve newer levels of critical thinking that you can apply in new ways in your career and field of interest.
- Skills enhancement: A PhD in Management can help you gain and enhance valuable skills that are universally applicable to any field. The degree can also empower you to make more of an impact in your current role by giving you expertise outside of your organization, which in turn which helps people around you as well. Once you begin your studies, you may find colleagues turning to you for guidance.
- Become a scholar-practitioner: A PhD in Management will give you the knowledge and confidence you need to not only attend academic conferences but present at them. You’ll discover your scholarly voice, write a dissertation, and may find yourself authoring peer-reviewed articles published in your field’s leading journals.
PhD Course Duration After MBA
The duration for PhD after MBA may vary depending on the research topic, methodologies, and investment of time and labour.
On average, the completion of PhD may take 4 to 5 years. The duration may also vary depending on the country and institution.
Eligibility For PhD After MBA
Though particular requirements differ by university, there are some fundamental requirements for a PhD following an MBA or any other postgraduate study that every applicant must meet. The fundamental qualification for a doctorate degree is a master’s degree in the corresponding subject (from a recognised institution). If you want to apply for a PhD in Business Administration, for example, you must have completed a postgraduate course like an MBA or MIM. In addition to this, you will be required to submit the following papers:
- One must have a good IELTS or TOEFL exam score to prove their English language proficiency.
- One must also have a respectable GRE/GMAT score, it may vary as per the university.
- Students must also submit their essays, SOP, and transcript.
- At least 2 to 3 Letters of Recommendation are required to be submitted by the student.
- Often times, an interview is conducted either physically or online via video call to test student’s knowledge and eligibility.
- Students must have a dissertation ready and a thesis statement or an idea.
- It is important that the students are well versed with what they want to do and have a clear idea about their objectives.
- At top-rated Business Schools, the acceptance rate is around 3 to 5%
Can I do a PhD after MBA?
Yes, one can do a PhD after MBA. There are Various Business Schools all over the world that offer PhD programs that can be pursued after an MBA.
For the MBA itself, many schools require some years of work experience. By the time a student may choose to pursue an MBA, they may already have the direction they want to take in their life.
A PhD after an MBA is not a popular choice but many students still decide to pursue the research either out of interest or for better opportunities. To pursue a PhD, the eligibility criteria include 50% or more marks in the post-graduation, and students are also required to take up an entrance exam. For anyone who has done an MBA, the field of PhD is open for them.
Also Read: MBA Study Material
After MBA PhD Courses
There are several PhD courses after MBA which a student may choose. There is no dearth of specialization in the field of management due to its vast scope.
Each research in each area is equally important as the PhD in Management is quite an unexplored field.
There are several courses one may take, like:
- Decision Sciences
- Human Resource Management
- Organizational behaviour
How to do PhD after MBA?
There are many options for students who want to do a PhD after their MBA is done. It is important that the MBA course the candidate has done is for the duration of 2 years.
Along with these basic requirements and minimum qualifying scores, letters of recommendation, research proposal and work experience aids in increasing the chances of getting admission into top universities. In India, it could take between 3 to 5 years to complete PhD after MBA while abroad, it can take anywhere between 4 to 7 years.
It is also most important that the students must choose their field of interest and work in that direction only.
Students have the choice to pursue a PhD in India or abroad. The application for both remains more or less the same. To do a PhD after MBA abroad, one has to additionally give exams like GMAT or GRE and language proficiency exams like IELTS or TOEFL.
For India, exams like CAT are applicable.
PhD After MBA in India
There are several advantages to pursuing a PhD after an MBA, including gaining a competitive advantage in the management and business worlds, as well as the research and professional experience required to pursue high-paying managerial positions in India and overseas.
What you should know about pursuing a PhD in India after completing an MBA:
- Duration : In India, depending on the curriculum and university, you can earn your PhD after an MBA in 3-5 years.
- Eligibility:To apply for a PhD in India, you must have finished a two-year MBA programme and passed the UGC-NET or GATE test, as well as qualify for admission to India’s top business schools and universities.
- Requirements: To boost your chances of getting a PhD after an MBA in India, you’ll need GATE/UGC–NET/CSIR–NET scores, a research proposal, letters of recommendation, and optional job experience.
- Top PhD Colleges in India :
- Indian Institutes of Management Studies (IIMs)
- Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs)
- National Institute of Management, Calcutta
- Faculty of Management Studies, University of Delhi
- Benaras Hindu University
- Top PhD Programs After MBA in India:
- PhD in Organizational Behaviour/Management
- PhD in Behavioural Finance
- PhD in Applied Statistics
- PhD in Information Technology/Data Analytics
- PhD in Market Analysis and Research
- PhD in Management
NOTE: It is often advisable that students choose the area for research in which they have specialised during their MBA. It is however not compulsory.
PhD After MBA In Distance Education
One can do a PhD after MBA in Distance Education but few things need to be taken into consideration.
It is important that the institution from where the candidate has pursued their MBA in Distance education form is recognised by the UGC or any other supreme commission, as relevant to the country.
Also, the degree must match the eligibility criteria as well for the PhD program one is applying to.
Can I do a PhD after Distance MBA?
- Yes, one can do a PhD after a distance MBA.
- The institute must be recognised by UGC.
- Universities cannot differentiate between the degrees.
- The degree earned must be in tandem with the degree mentioned in the eligibility criteria.
- The application process is as same as the process for regular courses.
- Candidates must submit their mark sheets, documents, essays, SOPs, etc. like any other regular candidate.
- The admission in a PhD program is based mostly on entrance exams and interviews.
- Some institutes may prefer regular students over the ones who pursue their degrees via distance education mode.
- The decision to select a candidate or not is solely based on the discretion of the university.
Best College to Study PhD After MBA
There is a lot of scope for pursuing PhD after MBA abroad. There is also a greater advantage of its scope and recognition in countries abroad.
Some of the top business schools around the world that offers PhD after MBA are as follows:
|College Name||Program Name|
|Harvard University, Cambridge||PhD in Business Administration|
|ANU Australia||Doctor of Philosophy- Business and Economics|
|Columbia University, New York||PhD in Business|
|University of Melbourne, Australia||Doctoral Program in Management|
|University of Sydney, Australia||Doctor of Philosophy- Business|
|Cornell University, New York||PhD in Management|
|Kellogg School of Management, Evanston.||PhD in Finance, Management and Organisation, Marketing|
PhD After MBA in USA
PhD after MBA in USA is the most popular place, it especially is a great place to pursue a PhD after MBA because of a highly research-friendly environment.
The USA is home to the top business schools and offers students with unlimited data and resources to facilitate their research. The amenities provided to PhD researchers are quite good here as well.
- University of Pennsylvania
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- The University of California
- Columbia University
- Kellogg School of Management
- The University of Chicago
- Washington University
- Cornell University
- University of Michigan
Also Read: PhD in USA
PhD after MBA in Australia is a very pleasant place to be at and it is also home to many great universities.
PhD After MBA in Australia
There are many great B-schools that offer PhD programs after MBA. There is a lot of scope for applying practical methods here because of the way businesses and cor[orates are run here.
Students will have a lot of opportunities to conduct researches and collect primary as well as secondary data.
- University of Sydney
- University of Melbourne
- University of Queensland
- Australian National University
- UNSW Sydney
- University of Western Australia
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Canberra
- Monash University
- University of Adelaide
PhD After MBA in Germany
Germany boasts of some of the best universities in the world and has the best management programs as well. Many universities in Germany offer PhD in management and great guidance to students to help them in their research work.
- LMU Munich
- Technical University of Munich
- Heidelberg University
- University of Berlin
- University of Hamburg
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- University of Freiburg
- Bielefeld University
- Karlsruhe Institute of Technology
- RWTH Aachen University
PhD After MBA In UK
UK is the home to many of the top business schools in the world the following are some of the top universities in UK that offer PhD after MBA:
- University of Warwick: Warwick Business School
- Durham University Business School
- University of Nottingham: Business School
- The University of Edinburgh: Business School
- Cranfield School of Management
- Leeds University: Business School
- University of Exeter: Business School
- Lancaster University Management School
- University of Birmingham: Business School
- University of Glasgow: Business School
PhD After MBA In Canada
Canada is one of the top sought after countries for pursuing higher studies and the following are some of the top Business schools in Canada offering PhD after MBA:
- McGill University – Desautels Faculty of Management
- University of Toronto Joseph L. Rotman School of Management
- University Of British Columbia Sauder School Of Business
- Western University – Ivey Business School
- HEC Montréal
- York University Schulich School Of Business
- Smith School of Business – Queen’s University
PhD After MBA In Finance
PhD in Finance gives students an excellent academic career as it is a research-oriented course 3 year course. Students usually pursue PhD in Finance after graduating with an MBA degree in Finance.
PhD in Finance deals with the advanced study of Management Accounting, Valuation of Shares, Cost, Privatization and Globalization, etc.
The minimum academic requirement for applying for a PhD in Finance is Post Graduation in courses with a minimum aggregate of 55% in Accountancy, Economics or Mathematics
Students are also required to obtain the minimum qualifying marks in entrance exams such as UGC NET, RMAT, JNUEE, GTU PhD Entrance Exam.
PhD in Finance requires expertise in subjects like Mathematics and Economics.
The top universities offering this program are:
- Harvard University
- Stanford University
- University of Adelaide
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies
- IIT Delhi
- Indian Institute of Management, Ranchi
- Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT)
- The Centurion University of Technology and Management
- Birla Institute of Technology and Science
Scope Of PhD After MBA in Finance
PhD after MBA in Finance has opportunities after opportunities. There is a wide scope of opportunities and many companies look out for such candidates to hire because of their skill and both theoretical and practical knowledge.
Students once graduated with a PhD in Finance after MBA often find work as Stockbroker, Statistician, Finance Manager, Corporate Banking Executive, etc.
Top companies like the ones mentioned below seek to recruit the candidates who have completed their PhD in Finance.
- TATA Consultancy
- Genpact Technologies Ltd
- ICICI Bank
PhD After MBA In HR
PhD in Human Resource Management is a doctorate program spread over 3 to 5 years and deals with the policies and teaching processes that organisations follow to maximise efficiency and productivity. It also teaches the candidates the necessary skills required to become an efficient human resource manager.
The minimum academic requirement for applying for a PhD in HR is Post Graduation in courses with a minimum aggregate of 55% from an Indian institute or a recognised foreign institute.
Students are also required to obtain the minimum qualifying marks in entrance exams such as UGC NET, CSIR NET, JNUEE
Scope Of PhD After MBA in HR
Students once graduated with a PhD in HR after MBA often find work as Human Resource Manager. HR Executive, HR Consultant, Training Coordinator, Training Manager, Recruitment Consultant, Personnel Manager, HR Director, etc.
PhD After MBA In Marketing
PhD in Marketing is a doctorate program spread over 3 years to prepare students to perform research in marketing fields and also a career in the academic field.
The minimum academic requirement for applying for a PhD in Marketing is Post Graduation in courses with a minimum aggregate of 55% from an Indian institute or a recognised foreign institute along with a follow up interview as required by the institute.
Students are also required to obtain the minimum qualifying marks in entrance exams such as UGC NET, CSIR NET, ICMR JRF
Scope Of PhD After MBA in Marketing
Students once graduated with a PhD in Marketing after MBA often find work as Brand Manager, Market Research Analyst, Marketing Executive, Marketing Manager, New Product Manager, Teacher & Lecturer, Tell Caller/Tele sales, etc
PhD After MBA Salary
Obtaining a PhD after MBA also aids increasing a person’s salary and it can be anywhere between an average salary of INR 2,00,000 to- INR 14,00,000. Graduates can also opt to work in corporate firms or as Professors in MBA universities.
Scope Of PhD After MBA
PhD after MBA opens up doors to many opportunities such as research in various fields such as finance, management or business. Along with that, graduates can also opt to work in corporate firms or as Professors in MBA universities
Ans. There are many options for students who want to do a PhD after their MBA is done. It is important that the MBA course the candidate has done is for the duration of 2 years. The most common career path that is chosen is teaching.
Ans. You can complete your MBA in 1- 2 years as compared to PhD which takes 4-6 years. So MBA is considered advantageous as it allows the student to start their career far sooner.
Ans. Yes, you can do PhD while working, but this can only happen if you are keen to work. Working full time and doing PhD is not easy, you
won’t make progress without constant effort.
Ans. Yes, you can do PhD at the age of 40, most of the person who do this are mostly in education sector. The only problem that comes up is that not all programs will be open for you.
Ans: Yes, one can do a PhD after MBA. There are Various Business Schools all over the world that offer PhD programs that can be pursued after an MBA. For the MBA itself, many schools require some years of work experience.