Source: Canadian Immigration Channel
MASTERS IN CANADA
Studying in Canada has become a popular option for students since it has some of the finest institutes of higher education in the world and master’s degrees from Canada are widely recognized for their high quality.
Canada has one of the highest enrolment rates in the world for students who have graduated from secondary school continuing to post-secondary education, that is, university-level education. Some of the advantages of studying here are:
- The Canadian educational institutions are known for their high academic standards and rigorous quality controls.
- Canada offers a globally recognized master’s degree.
- The research programs of the Universities are one of the main highlights of Canadian master’s educations.
- The study visa for a master’s degree in Canada is easy to acquire.
- Canada offers plenty of scholarships to international students.
ELIGIBILITY FOR MASTERS IN CANADA
Students who have completed their master’s degree after pursuing their three-year bachelor’s degree are eligible to apply for admission to master’s at a Canadian university.
- In terms of academic requirements, one needs to have a minimum GPA of 3 on a scale of 4 that is 65 – 70% or CGPA 7.0 – 7.5 in Indian standards.
- GRE/GMAT is also required for Several universities.
- In order to pursue MS in Business Management, MS Finance, MS Business Analytics, one needs to have work experience of 1 – 3 years.
- A proof of English Language Proficiency by submitting IELTS (minimum 6.5 or 7.0) or TOEFL (90+) score is also required.
MASTERS IN CANADA FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Canada is a combination of great outdoors and great student cities. It holds on its own among world’s leading student destination. It welcomes around 60 million tourists each year and is currently hosting over 572,000 international students.
Canada has become an appealing option for studying by international students. It is one of the safest places to go to in the world (and particularly major cities like Toronto and Vancouver) and has a wealth of cultural diversity which invites foreign students from everywhere in the world.
COST OF MASTER’S IN CANADA FOR INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS
Tuition fees for international students in Canada are relatively affordable compared to those in the UK and America, with most programmes costing somewhere between CAD $13,000 and CAD $20,500 (USD $9,930-16,430).
Several funding opportunities are available for international students, as well as scholarships are offered by individual universities designed to attract talented overseas postgraduates.
PG DIPLOMA VS MASTERS IN CANADA
| Generally, fee for PG Diploma courses are lesser due to its shorter duration.|
|Course-based and thesis-based master students can go for a job but are not eligible for PhD.|
MASTERS IN CANADA REQUIREMENTS
People who study in Canadian College are highly valued on the job market. Each university here has its own system on their website that allows future students to apply for and enrol in their degree programmes. Some of the essential requirements for applying master’s degree in Canada are:
- Most educational institutes require qualifications comparable to a Canadian Bachelor’s degree.
- Depending upon the master’s course applied for, relevant work experience in the field of their study may also be asked.
- Students whose first language is not English, have to appear for an English proficiency exam, generally IELTS or TOEFL.
- Some universities also require written samples or copies of student’s published work as a part of their eligibility criteria.
- GMAT /GRE test scores at an entry-level may be required for a few institutions for Management / Engineering specific programs.
- A scan of passport and copy of CV is required.
- Evidence of scholarship or funding is asked by some Colleges.
MASTER’S IN MANAGEMENT CANADA
Canada along with the US is considered to be the bedrock of Master’s in Management, and almost all top Canadian schools are offering the Masters in Management in their degree portfolio.
The number of international students enrolled in post-secondary education in Canada increased from 180,000 in 2007 to 415,000 in 2016. Canada has a large population of international students out of which countries like China, India, and France account for 53.1% of the total international students.
List of the top ten Universities for Master’s in Management is given below:
- University of Manitoba
- Odette School of Business
- Queen’s University
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- University of Lethbridge
- Royal Roads University
- Sauder School of Business
- Telfer School of Management
- Charles Stuart University
JOB OPPORTUNITIES AFTER MASTER’S IN CANADA
Canada has many advantages that appeal to international students among which great employment opportunities is the most important. Studying here is a great chance to build up a successful career.
It rules statistics in terms of student employment. Some students consider working during the study programme in order to have a closer glimpse of the local industries.
Subjects with highest graduate salaries in Canada include Dentistry, Medicine, Veterinary medicine, Law, Medicine, Therapy & rehab, Engineering, Pharmacy and Computer sciences.
Some of the highest paying jobs in Canada are Mining and forestry manager, Oil and gas drilling supervisor, Air traffic controller, Statistician and actuaries, Engineering manager, Public administration director, Power systems operator, Health & community service manager and Mapping technologist.
HOW TO APPLY FOR MASTERS IN CANADA
- Choose the course you want to study.
- Know the universities
- Check deadlines for the admission process
- Work Experience
- Register for Test
- The Statement of Purpose
- Letter of Recommendation
- Post Applications
- Study Permit
COURSE BASED MASTER’S IN CANADA
- Master of Arts in Canadian Studies M.A.
- Master of Arts in Cultural Studies M.A.
- Master of Arts in English M.A.
- Master of Arts in History M.A.
- Master of Arts in Sustainability Studies M.A.
- Master of Bioenvironmental Monitoring & Assessment M.BEMA
- Master of Instrumental Chemical Analysis M.ICA
- Master of Management M.MGT
- Master of Science in Big Data Analysis M.SC
- Master of Science in Financial Analytics M.SC
CYBER SECURITY MASTER’S IN CANADA
A Master’s in Cyber Security in Canada is a degree for study in information and data security. Cyber security is a growing field with endless opportunities to study a variety of specializations within the field and that is why studying this subject is a smart choice for international students.
This subject teaches students about the swiftly changing technological world and prepares students to build a career that helps businesses and government agencies keep their data safe. The course focus on a variety of aspects of computer security, including data management and software and systems design.
Some of the best colleges for studying Cyber Security in Canada are:
- Centennial College
- College of Computer &Information Center
- University of Winnipeg
- University of Ontario Institute of Technology
- Concordia University Montreal
MASTER’S IN CANADA UNIVERSITIES
A big range of institutions in Canada offer master’s degree in a variety of disciplines. The higher education sector of Canada is characterised by its diversity and all Canadian universities vary greatly in size, history and their portfolio of programmes.
Top Universities for Master’s in Canada are:
- McGill University
- University of Toronto
- University of British Columbia
- University of Alberta
- Montreal University
- McMaster University
- University of Waterloo
- University of Calgary
- The University of Western Ontario
- Queen’s University at Kingston
COLLEGES FOR MASTER’S IN CANADA
The Canadian Colleges prepare students with the ability to think critically. These Colleges work closely with relevant businesses in the industry to ensure that the study programs remain relevant to the changing working environment.
Some of the top Colleges offering Master’s in Canada are:
- Sheridan College
- Conestoga College
- Fanshawe College
- St. Clair College
- Centennial College
- Humber College
- George Brown College
- Red River College
INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING MASTER’S IN CANADA
The study of Industrial engineering is used to improve the efficiency of engineering processes and the quality of resulting products.
Students studying this subject uses the technical skills of students to understand functioning of various engineering structures and how to apply business knowledge to increase productivity.
Top colleges offering master’s in industrial engineering in Canada are:
- Ryerson University
- Dalhousie University
- University of Windsor
- University of Toronto
- Concordia University
- Saint Mary’s University
- University of British Colombia
- University of Calgary
FREE MASTER’S IN CANADA
There are no college or universities in Canada that are tuition-free in Canada, however fully funded scholarships are available that cover tuition, room and board.
How to do free master’s in Canada?
- Have a Great Scholarship Application that includes Research Experience, GPA, Internships, IELTS/TOEFL, Published Journal, SAT/ACT.
- Search for Fully Funded Scholarships
- Apply to those Scholarships
HOW MANY BACKLOGS ARE ALLOWED FOR MASTER’S IN CANADA?
Universities in Canada accepts backlogs to an extent. Different Universities follow different rules related to backlogs-some universities only look at the last two years when calculating the final GPA whereas some universities accept students with less than 3 backlogs provided that they demonstrate strong academics before and after the backlogs.
FEES FOR MASTER’S IN CANADA
The typical cost of studying Masters in Canada is cheaper than many other countries. The average fees of universities of Canada varies between CAD $13,000 and CAD $20,500 (USD $9,930-16,430). However, costs also vary between individual universities and degree programmes.
UNIVERSITIES FOR MASTER’S IN CANADA
The Universities of Canada are known for high-quality teaching and rigorous quality controls. The Master’s programs are specially known for their research-focused curriculum and offer practical experience in the forms of Co-op placements.
Top Universities for Master’s in Canada are:
• McGill University
• University of Toronto
• University of British Columbia
• University of Alberta
• Montreal University
MINIMUM PERCENTAGE REQUIRED FOR MASTER’S IN CANADA
In Canada there is no specific percentage needed to pursue MS degree course since most of the universities offers admission on the basis of entrance examination. However, it is recommended that one should have more than 60% in last degree course.
SCHOLARSHIPS FOR MASTER’S IN CANADA
Although studying costs in Canada are comparatively lower than some of the other popular study abroad destinations, the overall expenses are still higher for the students from middle-class income groups.
Some of the Government Scholarships available for students are:
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
- Queen Elizabeth Scholarships
- Organization of American States Academic Scholarship Programs
Scholarships for masters in Canada for Indian students
Following is the list of scholarships in Canada for Indian Students:
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships; amount $50,000 per year.
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship; amount CAD 15,000
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program.
- President’s Scholarship for World Leaders; amount CAD 5,000.
- International Leader of Tomorrow Award; amount CAD 14,000
MASTERS IN CANADA VS USA
|Master’s in Canada||Master’s in USA|
|The average tuition fee in Canadian college is about CAD$ 20,000 and average expenses of an individual are about CAD$ 10,800 for a year.||Tuition fees for Masters in USA is about $15,000 – 60,000 per year and the cost of living is about $10,000 – $15,000 per year.|
|Various Canadian Universities offer financial aids like Student loans, Student grants, Educational savings, Scholarships and other Financial assistance to students on the basis of their skill and talent.||Although expenses and tuition fees are very high in the US, there are also many scholarships, student grants to avail from.|
|The Canadian Post Graduation Work Visa allows students graduating from any post-secondary institute to work post studying for up time period depending on the duration of their course to a maximum of three years.||Students who want to stay in the US to gain practical knowledge in their subject, have the option to do so through OPT which is a temporary employment permission that allows students the opportunity to gain practical experience in their field of study for a 12-month period.|
|Some of the most sought-after positions in Canada are jobs like nurse practitioner, programme analyst, teacher, pharmacist, financial manager, construction manager etc.||Some of the top jobs in USA are jobs in fields like management, advertising, finance, dentistry, software engineer etc.|
|Compared to other countries, getting PR in Canada is very easy. One can apply for Permanent Residency under the Canadian Experience Class.||Permanent residency option is available, but it is a very long-drawn, slow and complicated process. It requires the person applying for it to reside in the US for at least five years on the grounds of employment.|
MASTER’S IN CANADA VS AUSTRALIA
|Masters in Canada||Master’s in Australia|
|Tuition cost in Canada for master’s is $15,000 - $35,000 per year.||Tuition cost in Australia is between $20,000 to $37,000 per year.|
|Canadian Visa has to be applied for the post-graduation work permit within 90 days of finishing the studies and it costs $150 to apply for this visa.||Australian student visa is not granted in the form of a sticker and it costs $ 535 to apply for this visa.|
|The Canadian Post Graduation Work Visa allows students graduating from any post-secondary institute to work post studying for up time period depending on the duration of their course to a maximum of three years.||Students who have completed master’s degree may be eligible to apply for a two-year post-study work visa.|
|Some of the top jobs in Canada are like nurse practitioner, programme analyst, teacher, pharmacist, financial manager, construction manager etc.||Top jobs in Australia include education, medical services, hospitality industry, computer system design, accounting etc.|
|Since Canada is sparsely populated, there is a shortage of highly skilled employee and that is why getting PR in Canada is very easy.||Due to the complicated process, the PR permit may take some time to get approved, however it is possible to get Australian citizenship.|
PR AFTER MASTER’S IN CANADA
To qualify for CEC, one should have 2 years of studies and work for 1 or 2 years. There are several permanent resident categories including the Canadian Experience Class, the Federal Skilled Worker Program, and the Provincial Nominee Program.
COURSES FOR MASTER’S IN CANADA
There are plenty of master’s degrees in Canada to choose from which also helps in creating a diverse educational environment. Canada has several types of higher education institutes but only universities offer master’s degree programs. Hundreds of master’s programs are available, ranging from the arts to engineering to MBAs.
List of courses for master’s in Canada are:
- IT & Computer Science
- MBA, MS Management, MS Finance
- Engineering & Engineering Management
- Renewable Energy
- Agricultural Science & Forestry
- Biosciences & Biomedical Engineering
- Media & Journalism
- Math, Statistics, and Data Science & Analytics
- Human Resources
- Hospitality Management
PGDM VS MASTERS IN CANADA
MASTER’S IN CANADA WITHOUT IELTS
It is not totally essential to give IELTS exam in order to take admission in Canadian Universities. The Rules are that students should either be native English speakers or have degree education of three or more consecutive years in English.
This is the list of universities in Canada that offer exemption of IELTS:
- University of Saskatchewan
- Brock University
- Carleton University
- University of Winnipeg
- University of Regina
- Memorial University
- Concordia University
1. Is Canada good for Masters?
Ans. Masters in Canada is a great option as it is cheaper and more liberal than its biggest competitor US. The cost of living is also affordable in Canada.
2. How many years is Masters in Canada?
Ans. Masters in Canada is for 1- 3 years according to the type of degree.
3. Which course has best scope in Canada?
Ans. The best courses in Canada are: MBA, Computer and IT, Business and Finance, Media and Journalism, etc.
4. How much CGPA is required for Masters in Canada?
Ans. As per the requirements in Canada, the minium GPA should be 3-4 out of 5. In Indian Education terms, it rounds off to 70-80% or 7-8 CGPA.
5. Who is eligible for masters degree?
Ans. The students who have have a 3-4 year bachelors degree and work experience if required from the University and English proficiency course are eligible.