SPP is an abbreviation for Student Partners Program which is a structural program jointly developed by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in India. It is in association with the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC) for Indian students to give them maximum help regarding higher studies in Canada.
This jointly designed project aims at the easiness of the visa process and procedures to get admitted into the Canadian universities. It helps a candidate to get a student visa with a minimum number of documentation with fast processing of various visa procedures.
List of SPP Colleges in Canada are:
SPP Colleges Province wise
Now, we will see the list of SPP colleges according to different provinces or areas of Canada.
List of SPP Colleges in Ontario
|S. No.||College Name||Province|
|3||Centennial College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|5||Confederation College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|7||Fanshawe College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|9||George Brown College||Ontario|
|10||Georgian College of Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|11||Humber College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning||Ontario|
|12||Lambton College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|13||Loyalist College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|14||Mohawk College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|18||Seneca College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|19||Sheridan College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning||Ontario|
|20||St. Clair College of Applied Arts & Technology||Ontario|
|21||St. Lawrence College||Ontario|
List of SPP Colleges in British Columbia
|S. No.||College Name||Province|
|1||Camosun College||British Columbia|
|2||College of New Caledonia||British Columbia|
|3||College of the Rockies||British Columbia|
|4||Douglas College||British Columbia|
|5||Kwantlen Polytechnic University||British Columbia|
|6||Langara College||British Columbia|
|7||North Island College||British Columbia|
|8||Okanagan College||British Columbia|
|9||Selkirk College||British Columbia|
|10||University of the Fraser Valley||British Columbia|
|11||Vancouver Community College||British Columbia|
|12||Vancouver Island University||British Columbia|
List of SPP Colleges in Alberta
|S. No.||College Name||Province|
|1||Bow Valley College||Alberta|
|3||Medicine Hat College||Alberta|
|4||Northern Alberta Institute of Technology||Alberta|
|5||Northern Lights College||Alberta|
List of SPP Colleges in Saskatchewan
|S. No.||College Name||Province|
List of SPP Colleges in Manitoba
|S. No.||College Name||Province|
|2||Assiniboine Community College||Manitoba|
|25||Manitoba Institute of Trades & Technology||Manitoba|
|36||Red River College of Applied Arts, Science & Technology||Manitoba|
What is the SPP Program in Canada?
Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC) regulates the Student Partner’s Program in Canada.
Under this SPP program, selected colleges and universities, often termed as the Canadian College Community (CCC), offer admissions to Indian students for undergraduate, post-graduate as well as diploma courses.
However, interested students must keep in mind that students with an already rejected visa from Canada are not eligible to apply under the SPP Program. The motive behind the SPP Program in Canada is to make dreams come true for the students who wish to receive education and work in Canada.
For this, the SPP Program provides a quality education through the SPP Colleges and great work opportunities, after that.
Why study at the SPP Colleges in Canada?
If you wish to pursue your dream of education in Canada, then the SPP Program in Canada is the ideal way to go about it. It is because the SPP Program offers a smooth and easy admission process for SPP Colleges, by offering admission to students based on merit and fair documentation-based selection.
To top it all, it promises to give you a bright future with a world-class education, in universities with the latest teaching aids and the best employment opportunities.
SPP Colleges in Canada Checklist
There are 2 categories where you require documents. The first category documents you require during the process of visa application of Canada.
Another category documents are needed to submit to the institution where you are going to take admission through SPP.
Visa Documents for SPP Colleges in Canada
- Acceptance Letter From the College
- Class 10th and 12th mark sheets
- Financial Documents issued from Scotiabank to show funds for living expenses
- Payment Receipt of college fee
- Receipt of Education loan from an Indian Chartered Bank
- Statement of Purpose
College Documents for Admission in SPP Colleges in Canada
- Scanned copy of Mark sheets and Photographs
- College fee payment receipt
- Scanned copy of filled application form that is submitted online
- Letter of Recommendation
- Minimum 6.0 bands in IELTS
Check out How to go to Canada without IELTS
What is the Eligibility for the SPP Program in Canada?
If you wish to opt for a study course in an SPP college, then you should have relevant study background in that particular subject.
For example, if you wish to pursue a science undergraduate course in an SPP college in Canada, then you must have a science as your background for higher secondary.
SPP program requires you to have a course that falls in line with the education you have had so far. If you wish to opt for a postgraduate course, then you must have a minimum of 50% in your graduation course.
There should be no gap years, whatsoever. Canada is strict with the gap year profiles, especially in the SPP Colleges. In fact, it is preferred if you have no backlogs in school or college. You will need to punch in a certificate of that says ‘no backlogs’ along with your application.
What are the Requirements for the SPP Program in Canada?
Apart from the eligibility, you need to meet the following requirements for the SPP program as well. The SPP program requirements are :
- The applicant must have a valid passport.
- A few recent photographs.
- The IELTS/PTE/TOEFL score report.
- The Admission Letter from the intended designated learning institution, be it a school/college or university.
- A Statement of Purpose
- Educational Certificates and Marksheets, including the Leaving Certificate.Degrees and Transcriptions.
- Financial Documents or Proof of Funds.
- Education Loans are also accepted as financial aid.
- Check the list of Indian banks that meet the International criteria list for SPP Program Canada here.
- The Medical Report, after a detailed medical examination under IMM 1017.
- A Guaranteed Investment Certificate or GIC, of about CAD$10,000 or the amount that equals the expenses of the first year. However, this amount excludes your tuition expenses.
- The GIC, under the SPP Program, is issued by the Scotia Bank of Canada.
- The Family Information Form or the IMM 5645.
How to Apply to SPP Colleges in Canada
Student Partners Program is known for minimal documentation due to which all the process to get admitted into the Canadian universities becomes easy.
However, the candidates must know the full procedural requirement and details so that there will be no discrepancy in the SPP application process in the future.
Below some steps are explained which will help you in applying for SPP colleges in Canada.
- First of all, select a SPP college of your choice and choose a course in which you want to get admitted.
- For all SPP College students with an admission offer, a study permit is a must. For this, you first need to apply for a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), a precursor to the Study Permit allotted on your entry in Canada. For the Resident Visa, you need to apply at the Canadian High Commission, which is facilitated by the Visa Application Centers.
- To apply Online, you first need to scan your documents and photographs (35 mm x 45 mm in dimension). Fill the form and the VFS Consent Form. Upload the documents and make the payment. Then, you have to visit the VFS office to submit your passport, along with the online application acknowledgment and payment receipt, and do as one would in the offline application.
- If you wish to apply Offline, then download the application form. Fill it up and attach the necessary documents. Next, pay the fee which is CAD$ 150 (INR 7400), and attach the payment receipt. Lastly, visit your nearest VFS Canada office and submit your documents. Here, you will have to give in your finger scans as well.
- Once you are completed with the application formalities, wait for the processing time of 3-4 weeks and then check the status on the Canadian Consulate‘s website.
This Study Permit also permits you to work on and off-campus. Under the SPP Program, you can work for a maximum of 20 hours per week, alongside the regular study in an SPP College. Thus, you don’t need a separate Work Permit.
It is only after your Study Permit and course is over, that you need to apply for a Work Permit, often termed as the Post Study Work Permit.
MASTERS IN CANADA: APPLICATION PROCESS, DOCUMENTATION AND VISA PROCESS
Source: AdmitKard Youtube
Work Permit with SPP visa
The work permit is available for international students after successful completion of a graduation course program from the any university of Canada. It does not matter whether they are from an SPP or Non-SPP colleges.
Work Permit needs different documentary and requirements which candidate needs to fulfill to work in Canada. Work Visa is generally given for the duration equivalent to the duration of course.
For the Post Study Work Permit, you must fulfill the following conditions:
- You can apply for a Post Study Work Permit within 90 days of graduating from college.
- Must have completed the study in a full-time course in Canada.
- The study period should be at least or more than 8 months and should be from either a public post-secondary institution or a private post-secondary institution in Canada.
- The Work Permit is allotted only if you have held a Study Permit before.
- For a study course of about 8 months, you get a work permit for 8 months.
However, if your study course was 2 years and more, then you get 3 years of work permit. Thus, it is a rule that the work permit complements the years of the study permit.
List of Non-SPP Colleges
Sometimes it becomes difficult to qualify for an SPP college, but there is no need to worry as there are other non-SPP colleges which takes international students. However, the application process is hard for non-SPP colleges and can take time but you still have a chance.
In Non-SPP colleges, documentation plays a key role in getting yourself admitted, particularly your bank statement for funds. In non-SPP colleges, documents related to income tax returns, education loan are necessary.
|S. No||College Name|
|1||Acsenda School Of Management|
|4||Cape Breton University|
|8||Fairleigh Dickinson University|
|9||Kings University College|
|13||Memorial University Of Newfoundland|
|14||Nyit - Vancouver|
|15||Royal Roads University|
|17||Thompson Rivers University|
|18||Toronto Institute Of Pharmaceutical Technology|
|20||Trinity Western University|
|21||University Canada West|
|22||University Of Calgary|
|23||University Of Guelph|
|24||University Of Manitoba|
|25||University Of Northern British Columbia|
|26||University Of Ottawa|
|27||University Of Regina|
|28||University Of Saskatchewan|
|29||University Of Western Ontario|
|30||University Of Windsor|
|31||Wilfrid Laurier University|
FAQs for SPP Colleges in Canada
- What is the difference between SPP and non-SPP colleges in Canada?
There is a major difference between SPP and non-SPP colleges as SPP are done in the association of two governments which require less documentation while Non-SPP requires more documents. In a Non-SPP college, Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) is not necessary.
- What is meant by SPP colleges in Canada?
SPP is Student Partners Program which is jointly developed by the Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) in India in association with the Association of Canadian Community Colleges (ACCC) for Indian students to give them maximum help regarding higher studies in Canada.
- Is Evergreen College under SPP?
Evergreen College is a Non-SPP college, registered as a private college under the Private Career Colleges Act, 2005. It requires more documentation to get admitted like proof of funds.
- What are SPP and SDS?
The Student Direct Stream Program is a substitute of SPP for the Indian candidates to quickly increase the study visa procedures. SDS provides more courses & college selection options for Indian students.
- What is the IELTS score required to study in SPP Canada?
The minimum IELTS score is an overall band of 6.0. For Undergraduate programs, an overall band of 7.0 is required, with 6.5 in reading and listening and band 7.0 in writing and speaking.
- Is GIC compulsory for Canada?
GIC stands for Guaranteed Investment Certificate and it is required only when is candidate opting for an SPP college. In a Non-SPP there is no need to show GIC while taking admission.
- Which is the best college in Ontario?
Durham College is considered an excellent college in terms of the academic field, research and development analysis. It is one of the finest SPP Colleges in Canada also.
- Which college in British Columbia is the best?
Vancouver Community College and Selkirk College are considered best colleges of British Columbia due to facilities they provide to students on the campus.
- Which is the best Non-SPP College in Canada?
There are various Non-SPP colleges which are known for their excellence in Canada such as Lakeland College. What are your views regarding SPP? Do share with us. Also, kindly share your suggestions and feedback with us in the comments section below.